Law Office of Dawn M. Green
Call Today: 410-280-2696 A Maryland Family Law Firm

Maryland child support payments owed even if out of state

An attorney general's office in another state recently collected more than $95,000 in back child support payments in one case. Maryland parents who receive child support payments are likely aware that payments can be collected even if the parent who owes the support moves to another state. The 41-year-old man who had moved to another state paid his back due support after an arrest warrant was issued for him for felony non-support.

Sometimes, the question is the parent's ability to pay. However, when the non-custodial parent can pay, that person can be held accountable for any failure to pay. This man was arrested in March, but the criminal charges were dropped once he paid what he owed in child support payments, including assessed penalties.

In cases where it appears that a person is willfully avoiding payment, the criminal justice system provides for the ability to arrest and jail those who are non-compliant with child support orders. There are also a variety of other enforcement measures, such as garnishment of wages and interception of any income tax refund. For those who wish to pay but are financially unable to do so, a petition to modify an existing support order may be appropriate. 

In many states, including Maryland, there are parents who avoid payment of their court ordered child support payments. Many times, this is because of health issues and/or job loss. For those who are entitled to receive child support payments but are not getting them, legal assistance may be helpful in collecting past due sums. For those who have suffered a substantial change in economic circumstances, making it impossible to comply with the terms of an existing child support order, a family law lawyer can help in presenting a petition to the court to seek a formal modification of the order.

Source:, "Schuette recovers $95,000 in child support from former Clare man", April 14, 2015

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Resolve Your Family Legal Concerns, Schedule A Consultation Today.

If you need help with a legal issue regarding your family, we can help. Contact us online or call 410-280-2696 to schedule a consultation to discuss your case.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Law Office of Dawn M. Green
275 West Street
Suite 102
Annapolis, MD 21401

Phone: 410-280-2696
Fax: 410-280-1333
Annapolis Law Office Map

Review Us