As you move through your divorce, you may be worried about what will happen in regards to child custody. While some people are open to whatever the court decides, others come to find that they won't settle for anything less than winning custody.
If this sounds familiar, it's important to understand the steps you can take to put yourself in better position.
Here are some tips to follow if you want to fight for and win custody of your child:
- Don't refuse to cooperate with the other parent. This person is part of your child's life, so there is no good reason to shut him or her out.
- Present yourself to the court in a professional and competent manner.
- Request an in-home custody evaluation. This can go a long way in showing that you can provide the child with the type of environment he or she deserves.
- Learn more about child custody laws in your state, so that you know what you should and shouldn't be doing.
- Prepare the necessary documentation. If the court requests something of you, don't hesitate to provide it. Being timely and thorough will put you in a good light.
These are just a few of the many things you can do to tilt the scales in your favor. There is no guarantee that you will win custody, but you need to do what you can to put yourself in position for success.
As long as you know how to protect your legal rights and which steps to take, you can feel good about your ability to secure the result you desire.
Source: The Spruce, "14 Dos and Don'ts for Winning Child Custody," accessed Nov. 24, 2017