Resolving Complex Marital Property Issues
The division of marital property during a divorce can be one of the most complicated and contentious parts of the entire process. Many divorces settle outside of court, but property division can prove to be an enormous sticking point during the negotiations. The Law Office of Dawn M. Green will represent your best interests in a divorce, whether you choose to litigate or use a mediator to craft a settlement.
Definitions Of Marital And Nonmarital Property
There are two different classifications of property at issue in divorce law in Maryland: marital property and nonmarital property.
Nonmarital Property is property that was accumulated prior to the marriage, by gift or inheritance so long as it has not been titled jointly or gifted to the other spouse.
Marital Property is all property that was accumulated during the marriage and not through a gift or inheritance.
Once a court has determined which assets fall into each category, it will consider the following, among other factors, when deciding how marital assets will be distributed:
- The contributions, monetary and nonmonetary, of each party to the well-being of the family
- The value of all the property interests of each spouse
- The economic circumstances of each spouse at the time the award is made
- The facts that contributed to the estrangement of the parties
- The duration of the marriage
- The age, physical and mental condition of the parties
We Protect Your Rights To A Fair And Equitable Distribution Of Property
Our firm works with a broad range of independent professionals who provide expert advice in the complex financial areas of hidden assets, business valuation and security accounts. Our lawyer offers the experience and resources needed to help you with the complex issues involved with the division of marital property.
We can help with:
- Valuations of pensions and other types of retirement accounts
- Drafting qualified domestic relations orders (QDRO)
- Business asset valuation
- Finding hidden financial assets
- Real estate property valuation
- Deferred compensation valuation
In addition, we provide vigorous representation for individuals who are involved in matters relating to prenuptial agreements and spousal support modifications.
Safeguard Your Family’s Future Today
Our firm will fight for your fair share of the assets accumulated during your marriage. Call our Annapolis office at +1-443-440-5871 or, email us to set up an appointment.