Preparing to ask for a divorce can make the actual process much less stressful. While you never know what exactly will happen, the steps you take to prepare can put you in position to get started on the right foot.
Here are five questions to answer as you prepare to initiate a divorce:
- How do you believe your spouse will react? There is no way of knowing for sure, but you should think about all the possibilities. This allows you to prepare for anything that comes your way.
- What’s the best time and place to ask for a divorce? You need to carefully consider the location and time, as making the wrong choice will only complicate things.
- How will you get your point across? It’s one thing to ask for a divorce, but another thing entirely for your spouse to understand your reasons for doing so.
- What will you do if your spouse becomes angry and violent? If you have any reason to believe this could happen, you need to ask for a divorce in a public place or over the telephone.
- Will you discuss the details? You don’t have to discuss the finer details of the actual divorce, such as child support, child custody and property division. You’ll have time for this later on.
When you answer these questions before asking for a divorce, you’ll feel more confident in your ability to have a meaningful conversation.
Once you have this in the open, you can learn more about filing for divorce here in Maryland and how the process typically unwinds for someone in your situation.