With the holiday season quickly approaching, now’s the time to answer a variety of child custody-related questions. By taking the right steps upfront, you can avoid disagreements with your ex-spouse and ensure a good time for everyone.
Here are five child custody-related questions to answer today:
- How will you communicate with the other parent? You must have a clear idea of how you’ll stay in touch during the holidays, such as with phone calls or text messages.
- What does the schedule look like? Your parenting agreement may include language on where your child is to spend the holiday season.
- Will you remain flexible? You hope to stick closely to the schedule that’s in place, but flexibility is essential during the busy holiday season.
- Have you discussed gift giving with your ex-spouse? You don’t have to talk about every last detail, but you should try to get on the same page to avoid a conflict.
- How will you deal with contact with extended family? Your child may want to spend time with your ex-spouse’s side of the family, such as grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins.
These are the types of child custody questions you can address as soon as you get the chance to do so. They’re not always easy to answer, but going down this path will allow you to better enjoy the holidays.
If your ex-spouse continues to violate the parenting agreement, it may be time to take legal action to protect your rights. You don’t want them to stop you from spending time with your child in the future.